Everyone in this house likes Mexican-style food. We eat many different kinds of tacos, burritos, enchiladas, beans, you get the picture. This Lime, Chicken, Cilantro + Crock Pot = Taco Night recipe is as great on a hot mid-summer day as it is on a cold winter night. The chicken mixture is a great addition to nachos, a bun or added to a green salad for a lighter meal.
I like to have this ready on those nights we are all running in four different directions, but I want everyone to eat a good food vs. something else. Let me know what you think!
Lime, Chicken, Cilantro + Crock Pot = Taco Night
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 C salsa (home made or commercial)
1 T finely chopped garlic
1/2 C chopped onion
1 C chopped cilantro
1-2 chopped jalapeno
1 package of taco seasoning (or make your own)
1. Combine salsa, cilantro, jalapeno, garlic, onion, taco seasoning , half of the lime juice and pour on top of chicken.
2. Cook on low for about 6 hours if chicken is unfrozen or a couple more hours if frozen.
3. Shred the chicken and stir into juices. Add more lime juice, spices or cilantro as desired.
4. Wrap tortillas in foil and place in oven on 200 degrees10 minutes.
5. Use whatever variety of taco toppings you desire!
Nutrition info (for Taco Meat only)
Fat: 2 gm
Protein: 26 gm
Sodium: 1123 mg
Please note, most of the sodium is in the commercial salsa and taco sauce. This recipe could easily be LOW sodium if you made your own salsa and used spices instead of a taco seasoning mix!